Statcounter

Google Analytics

Sunday, January 22, 2012

St. George Half Marathon

Seriously I must re-examine the Wright family Budget!  I paid to do the Runners Series, paid to do the Snow Canyon Half, paid to do the St. George Half all for the privilege of registering and paying for the St. George Marathon!!!  That's true devotion for a guaranteed marathon entry.  I really do love the St. George Marathon though, so I'm in for sure!  Now to use the rest of the year to do some speed work.  My goal this year is just to cruise, pushing my pace but not getting beat up, it will be my last long run for IMAZ.  As for my St. George Half race report:
Craig and I got into St. George on Friday, picked up our packets at the Dixie Center, I bought this cool magnetic pocket that will hold a cell phone, key, credit card, etc.  I really like it (RooSports) since I always run in compression shorts with no pockets.  Neither of us slept well that night, when we woke up I had a head ache and it was raining!  A little Advil solved the head ache, as for the rain....well it must have been the torrent of prayers from all the runners, the rain stopped as the race was starting.  I have to admit I was kicking myself for not doing the 5K, think how fast that could have been over with!  Started off with no HRM just the resolve to go out and get it done, at mile 2 I really started to feel good and just cruised, I lost the 2:15 pace group, which was unrealistic for me anyway but when the 2:20 group caught up to me I resolved to hang with them.  I did pretty well until the last two miles and they got out of my sight, I was ok with that since my goal was 2:30 and knew I would make it.  When I came into the finish chute and could see the clock It was 2:20 something......I ran as hard as I could so the clock wouldn't say 2:21.  Here are my official results:

22    Melinda Wright                    Redlands  CA         5094   54     1103      2:19:55.6   2:20:43.4      0:47.8     10:40/M
I was happy to see 2:19 on the chip, which means  the pacers were a little on the  fast side...thank you pacers.  (Sorry about the font change, I don't know how to  change it since I copied and pasted) It did start raining the last mile which only     made me more anxious to be done.  So that's it--I package of Cliff Shots, 2      Vanilla bean Gu's was just about right.  Next project is to calibrate my foot pod, it showed I ran a 10:04 average    pace instead of 10:40, darn, I wish the foot pod was right!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats...sounds like you had a great race despite the weather and the headache. Speaking about budgets if there is enough room in yours you should think about a garmin...they are awesome for using GPS to give you an accurate pace...and you don't have to calibrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, I have a Garmin FR60, I just got it for Christmas, I thought it would be better with a foot pod because I run on a tread mill a lot. I'm kinda regretting it. My husband has the 310 which I think I'm going to use it when he gets the new 910. I have this love/hate thing with Garmin, I love the data, I just usually mess up all the fields when I use it. So if anyone is thinking, foot pod--I'm with you, go ahead and get the GPS.

    ReplyDelete