Statcounter

Google Analytics

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Compression Sleeves and Snake Oil


Promises, promises, first of all I got a pair of compression sleeves (for your calves, not arms). They promised improved recovery and 12 minutes off your marathon time. 12 minutes! For me that is a whole mile, how could I resist.  You are never supposed to do anything new on race day, but since I bought the sleeves the night before we left, well...they got a true test by fire.
Results:  Fabulous, I cannot sing the praises of compression sleeves enough, they worked and then some.  I lopped 45 minutes off my last St. George time, granted I was better trained and last time was pouring rain, but this year was hot, so all things not being equal this was a $40 well spent.

The St. George Marathon Expo is a wonderland of fun booths. I purchased "The Stick", a very popular massage stick that I promised I would get Kyle and Brad.  I have to admit that we all tested it before we brought it home and it almost got sneaked into Kevin's car.  He did his best to take The Stick home with him, but I managed to wrest it away from him and take it home to Kyle and Brad, if anyone gets Kevin's name for Christmas...there you go, please get him The Stick.

And this purchase at the marathon expo I call my "snake oil purchase".  This is a rubber band type bracelet with a hologram of pure energy.  You wear this and you will have tons of energy, balance, run faster, recover better, you name it, it will happen to you if you simply wear this bracelet.  Being a fine jewelry person this was just up my alley, you know rubber sports watches, rubber bracelets they're just me and besides it was within my jewelry budget allowance for the year.  Well if the compression sleeves gave me 12 minutes that means that the Pure Energy must have given me, are you ready for this--a whopping 33 minutes.  WooHoo, can I be a spokesperson.

No comments:

Post a Comment